Saturday, August 28, 2010

The day of the dumpling





8.28.10

On our last day of orientation, I woke up early with my roommates and headed out to get some dumplings for breakfast. After that I got ready to go to the university to sit through the last discussions of what to expect while living in China. Not learning too many cultural intricacies I was excited for the next step of my day—a scavenger through the French Concessions.
I was put in a group of four and after getting out assignment we immediately headed out to lunch. We had Thai that had some very questionable ingredients. Collecting our things at our apartment was the last stop on the way to the metro. Getting to the nearest metro stop takes about 20 minutes (most of that time is spent crossing streets and hoping not to get hit by a speeding taxi). The metro stop is in the closest downtown shopping center; it is sleek, modern and clean. Upstairs there are fountains and green grass greeting urban travelers. Downstairs the tiled walls are Expo green and blue and there are LCD TVs with artistic images being shined across. It gets better when I got on the train: I have never seen a cleaner more modern subway system in the entire world. Everything moves efficiently and the trip is very comfortable. Perhaps the best part of the Shanghaiese public transit system is that you can you use the same metro card on anything that moves and requires money (like the bus, the train, the ferry, even taxis).
After a beautiful trip downtown we ended up in the French Concessions, a district of town that has some major European influences (duh). The avenues of this district are lined with trees and the architecture of the three story buildings is a combination of classical China and some Parisian spruce. As a group we roamed around the area looking to cross things off the list of picture taking opportunities. Along the way we found a living-history-farmesk museum that documents the way the interiors of the French Concessions looked back in the day. We also found a large and well manicure public park where old people sat at cafes drank tea and played checkers. Before we got on the metro to head back, we came across a corner shop that specializes in making buns. I tried a croissant with “radish” and cabbage innards and had to go back for seconds and eat a stewed vegetable steamed bun—it was divine.
Even for a Saturday afternoon the metro was packed when we headed up north. Lots of shoppers and travelers returning home filled up the subway line that was only completed in July. After getting off at the shopping center my group and I decided to take the bus back. Although this system works as well it is hectic as giant busses zoom into catawampus parking spots at the bus stop. Once they arrive the twenty Chinese women who want to get on all run after the parking bus and fight to get on first. It was crowded and the driving was crazy but I got a seat.
At home I was exhausted. Interacting with the millions of people on city streets is intoxicating and overwhelming and sucks a surprising amount of energy from the system. My roommate Marx made dumplings and leftovers stewed with noodles for diner. After that I collapsed.

No comments:

Post a Comment